At the end of the fishing season this June, some North Shore lobster boats will transform into passenger vessels to offer new marine-based recreation and cultural experiences on the Northumberland Strait. The experiences are being offered through a new initiative called Discover the Strait, which brings local fishermen together on one platform to offer truly unforgettable and authentic Nova Scotia visitor experiences.
Specializing in small group tours so you can make your experience your own, Discover The Strait offerings include:
- Two hour ‘SightSEAing Tours’ and ‘Sunset Tours’.
- Three hour ‘Sea & Sand Tours’ where visitors cruise to a secluded sandy beach.
- Three hour ‘Learn to Lobster Tours’ that include pulling a trap from the ocean floor and dining on traditional lobster rolls.
- All tours provide an opportunity to swim in the Strait’s warm waters, use onboard water toys, and fish for Mackerel or Striped Bass.
- For real adventurers, there’s the ‘Fisherman For A Day Experience’ where passengers spend the day on a working fishing boat during lobster season.
- Private charters can be customized for team building, conference groups, retirements, birthdays, anniversaries, wedding celebrations, and more.
- For larger parties, they’ll even create a flotilla experience with multiple boats!
Tours will leave from traditional fishing wharfs along the North Shore and take place aboard spacious 45 foot Northumberland Strait style fishing boats. Safety of passengers is top priority. All the captains and their vessels are compliant with Transport Canada’s Small Passenger Vessel program and display a Blue Decal on their vessels indicating their participation in the program. This means that each vessel and its machinery and equipment comply with regulations and procedures are in place for safe operation and emergencies. All crew receive safety training and passengers receive a safety briefing before the tour begins.
Discover The Strait has been in the works for two years and has received support from the Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia (TIANS) and ACOA. “TIANS has worked very closely with us to help inform and inspire fishermen interested in utilizing their fishing boats and expertise for marine visitor experiences during the fishing off-season,” says Linda Townsend, creator of Discover The Strait. “We are all very excited to see this project get off the ground and contribute to visitor experiences on the North Shore.”
Discover The Strait tours will be available starting July 2023 once lobster fishing season wraps up on the Northumberland Strait. Check out their website at discoverthestrait.com for more information and to book your tour!